Thank you to all of our DC VegFest vendors and sponsors! We appreciate your patience and understanding as we continue to process through the unfortunate circumstances related to Hurricane Florence and our need to cancel the DC VegFest in light of the DC Mayor’s Office declaring a state of emergency.
We recognize and are grateful for your financial investment in and commitment to the DC VegFest and helping us grow this event over the years. Please know this event is close to our hearts and we are equally invested in and committed to it. We are a non-profit organization and the costs of planning and hosting an outdoor festival with more than 20,000 attendees are significant.
Over the course of many months in planning the DC VegFest, we’ve incurred a great deal of expenses that we’re unable to recoup. As you know, vendor contracts clearly state that there are no refunds in the event of a cancellation. However, we recognize that this cancellation represents a financial impact not only for us but for you, our partners, and we have worked diligently since yesterday and we have some good news to share:
We’ve been able to successfully cancel or minimize expenses for some of our event-related contracts and will be able to pass these savings back to you.
Starting this week, vendors should expect to receive partial reimbursements sent back to you, in most cases via the payment form/system you submitted your registration fees. In some cases, we may send you a check and will notify you upon sending it to ensure we have the correct mailing address.
Here is a breakdown of reimbursements:
- Your vendor registration fee: We will issue everyone a 50% reimbursement (this is for the base cost of signing up as either a non-profit, commercial, or restaurant vendor).
- Electricity: If you purchased electricity, you will receive a 100% reimbursement for those costs.
- Extra Tables: If you purchased extra tables, you will receive a 100% reimbursement for those costs.
- Staffing: If you paid for extra staffing at your booth, you will receive a 100% reimbursement for those costs.
- Tote bag sponsorship: if you sent an insert for our free tote bags, these bags have already been stuffed with your products and will be distributed to those who reserved them as well as at other upcoming events in the community. While we are not offering tote bag sponsorship reimbursements nor are we able to return products back to you at this time, please know we will continue to promote your company’s participation.
If you are a Carrot Top or Celery Root sponsor, we will be reaching out to you shortly about reimbursements.
Again, we deeply apologize for any inconveniences and appreciate your understanding and continued support. We share your frustrations, and we’re devastated that the 2018 DC VegFest has been cancelled – it’s the first time in 10 years we’ve had to make such a difficult and sad announcement.
Each year, we take time to reflect on our event and the planning process to learn how to improve the DC VegFest in the future. We acknowledge that we can learn from our mistakes as well as the challenges we face that are not within our control. Needless to say, as this is the first time we’ve had to cancel the DC VegFest, we’ve learned a great deal this year that we can apply to future event planning needs.
Thank you again for your patience and support! We hope to continue working with you in the future, and we’re eager to march forward together in our mission to create a kinder and healthier world.
Compassion Over Killing & DC VegFest staff, volunteers, and interns